Monday, February 25, 2008

Golf and Cigars

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I play a lot of golf. About 15% of the people with whom I play smoke cigars. Many of my friends smoke cigars when on the golf course and I-just-don't-get-it.

Many of the people I know took up cigar smoking later in life. To me, it seems that they took it up as a means of being "cool". I always thought that if you survived into your twenties after all the "cool" things you did there was a pretty good chance you wouldn't do as many stupid things to appear "cool", thereby increasing one's odds of making it into the next decade. Oh well, I was wrong.

The other day I was on the practice range at the golf course and someone behind me was smoking a cigar. Essentially sharing his "coolness" with all of us. There I was, on a beautiful, sunny day in the mountains enjoying the crisp, cool, clean air and I was struck by the pungent smell of someone's oh-so-cool cigar. I asked about it and was told that it was their last bastion. WTF! Who ever said you get a bastion inside my bastion. Smoke in your house. Smoke in your car. Smoke when you're walking down the course. But don't light up in my face.

I was going to rant aplenty on cigars but I could never say it better than George Carlin.

No comments: