Monday, August 24, 2009

Lost Again

I'm a big do-it-yourselfer at my house. I've done pretty much everything related to building or maintaining a house with the exclusion of laying bricks. I've built my own wiring closet with an independent cooling system. I've installed whole-house audio, video and networking systems. I find a lot of pleasure and relaxation in doing this work. It starts with not being afraid to screw it up.

One day I was running some wiring to one of the bedrooms upstairs in the house. This required fishing a couple of cat-5 and a coax cable up and between the walls from my downstairs wiring closet, up to the attic and then down between the walls in the target bedroom.

I successfully got the wires up to the attic and had to determine where, exactly, to drop the wires down to the bedroom.

It was quite hot in the attic, I was covered in insulation and just wanted to get out of there so I called on my lovely wife, Wendy, for help.

She was in the upstairs hallway next to the target bedroom and the following conversation really happened as I knocked on the ceiling drywall:

Me: "Do you hear me knocking?"
Wendy: "Yes."
Me: "Can you tell me where I am?"
Wendy:silence

This silence continued so I started knocking louder. Finally a response from Wendy, "You're in the attic."

Now it was my turn to be silent. Was she serious or just joking? I already knew the answer because I certainly recognized the different tones of voice that were uniquely Wendy's.

More silence from me as I tried to figure out just how to respond to the answer but it didn't last long as Wendy broke the silence, "Are you alright?"

Me: "Yes."
Wendy:"I thought you had a stroke because you didn't know where you were."

Me: silent

Me:"I know I'm in the attic, dear. Can you please use my knocking to help me determine where, exactly, I am in relation to the bedroom."
Wendy:"Oh," followed by giggling.

And my dear Wendy wonders why I won't ask anyone for directions. I'd just as soon not know where I am and stay lost.

No comments: